Sunday, February 20, 2011

Detailed Weight Loss/Food Blog

Alright here we go....This is the blog everyone has been asking...The Hows, and the Whats...

First and foremost, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone for all the support!! It makes it easier when you know people are following you and cheering on!! Coming from someone who has done many different diets, both successfully and unsuccessfully, I understand that everything doesn't work for everyone...IE: I did atkins in highschool, and did fantastic....However i tried it again about 2 years ago, and failed MISERABLEY!!! HOWEVER, what I am doing now, I honestly believe that ANYONE CAN DO!! Especially if you have the desire, and you believe in yourself!!!

Anyone who knows me, knows that i LOVEEEE to watch the biggest loser....if you don't...i suggest you start! The show is great not only for motivation, but also for ideas, and to show the struggles we ALL have! Also, I have Bob & Jillian (the trainers) on my facebook, and i take their tips very seriously!!

As per Jillian, you need to eat a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day to fuel your body for daily activity! For a normal person...a 2000 calorie diet is a healthy weight maintainer....and about 2400 for an obese person...sounds like a lot right? Its not! haha...The biggest loser cookbook suggests taking your CURRENT bodyweight, and multiplying it by 7, to get your approximate calorie intake for weightloss....ie: I am currently about 210....That means i need to eat approx 1470 a day....When i first started, I aimed for 1800-2000.....As i got farther I dropped to 1600 - 1900....Now I aim for anywhere from 1200 - 1600 on a normal day....All i really worry about is that I dont go over 2000 in a day....
In order to keep track....I have an 8x5 fivestar noticebook...I write down EVERYTHING that i put into my mouth!!! When i first started i also wrote what TIME i ate at, and tried to eat @ every 3 hours to keep the metabolism going all day! I have the journal with me 24 hours a day.

Also...I suggest making TWO goals....a stretch, and a realistic....For example, my stretch goal this past segment was 20 lbs in 8 weeks....However realistically i was looking for about 16...If i hit the stretch great, if not oh well....Even if i dont hit my goal...As long as i didnt GAIN anything, I am okay!! You have to celebrate ALL OF THE ACHIEVEMENTS! Even if you lose 5 lbs....You still LOST 5 LBS!!! remember that!!!

Lastly...I strongly believe in CHEAT DAYS(or weekends at time!) As well as setting a FIRM restart date! IE My bday is 2/25 and moms is 2/28....Im having a cheat weekend 25th-28th, and starting back up first thing on 3/1....If I get to a point where I REALLY WANT SOMETHING...then plain and simple...I set up a day to have it! Not telling myself NO, has kept me focuses on what I need to do!! I try to keep my cheat days to specific reasons...I had 1 for xmas...1 for new years....3 for robs bday weekend (Jan 7th) and havent had one since...so now...7 weeks later...ive earned a weekend for my bday!!

With that being said.....Here is a sample of my day....(today ironically enough)
9:30am - Nature Valley Bar - 190 Calories
1pm, Healthy Choice Meal - 210 calories
3:30pm - Fiber Bar - 120 calories
7pm - Homemade Dinner - 500 calories (current running total 1200)
And I will have a snack that is between 80 and 150 shortly

Some days i eat more than others..it all depends on what I eat...That being said, here is the list of food that I always have in the house!!

Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt...MANY various flavors (80 cals each)
Nature Valley Peanut Butter Granola Bars (190 cals)
Kellogs Fiber Plus Bars, Choc Chip, and Peanut Butter (120 and 130 cals)
LUNA Bars for woman (i like the lemon, and peppermint flavors) (180 cals each)
Zone Perfect Bars....Cookie Dough (180 cals) and Peanut Butter Cookie dough
Balance Bar (found at Walmart) various flavors...I like Cookie Dough (210 Cals)

Campbells Chunky Soups...I like chicken noodle, beef stew, and sirloin burger...they range from 220 - 350 cals depending on flavors

Various steamer bags of vegetables...i mostly like the ones that are broccoli cauliflower and carrots (or any combo of them) bc they are low in calories, and mix well with almost anything!!

MEALS!!!:  This is the big one....Healthy Choice is my best friend!!  They have DOZENS of meal choices ranging from 220 calories to about 500 calories...Lean cuisine also has quite a few choices, as well as smart options...I always have a ton of them in my freezer!!! ( I hear they just came out with an ice cream too...yum!)

For extra snacks...I like veggie chips, goldfish, popcorn, and pretzels...I just make sure to check labels and weigh out portions

And thats it!!! I really don't do anything crazy!! I mix and match all of my above foods as meals and snacks...When i Cook food...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS weigh it out and measure!!  Even with meats, most packages will tell you serv sizes (usually 3 or 4 oz) and the calories...I have the biggest loser digital food scale to weigh everything out...


Now the fun part....EXERCISE!!!!!!!!  The first few weeks i really didn't do anything...but we have the wii fit, and the wii balance board...and i wanted to put them to good use!! The main wii fit game that comes with the balance board has yoga..strength training...and minor aerobic exercises...I started doing those 2 times a week approx an hour each day.....We also have the first (there are 2) Biggest Loser game for the wii...and i started doing that a few months in...yoga 1 day, biggest loser the other...As ive gotten more into it (keep in mind im almost 4 months into my journey!) Mom got me Jillian Michaels (told ya i love them) Yoga Meltdown!!  Its hard! but i love it!! We also just got a kettleball DVD which I am looking forward to trying...And now that im living at moms we do a mile walk...They do it every night...Depending on my work schedule I cant always...But im looking to do it at least 4 times a week!!!
And FINALLY...MOTIVATIONAL PICTURES!!!!! If you have them available, i strongly suggest this...I made 2 collages...1 of the pictures of me hugeeee (265 lbs!)  and 1 of me skinny!! (Most of them are from when i was 165!!! and 1 or 2 from the 180 range!!)  See below for pics...but I like to look at them especially when i work out, or when i want to cheat on a non cheat day, to remind me of where im coming from (and never want to be again!!) and where ive been that I want to get back to!!!

Good Luck to everyone who wants to join me on this journey....If you have ANY questions, or need support or motivation, I am here for all of you!!  I wish you all the best of luck, and thank you again for your continued encouragement!!!!

Fat Photos



Skinny Photos



If i forgot anything let me know!!!

2 comments:

Danielle Kepler said...

Congrats Kerri! It looks like you're doing great and thanks for sharing. I'm trying out some diet stuff now, and it's really good to hear what's working for you! Keep up the good work and stay positive!

Kerri & Rob said...

Thanks Danielle!! The hardest part was GETTING STARTED...once I convinced myself of what i wanted and needed to do it has been fairly simple for me THIS TIME around...I hope whatever you do works out for you!!